This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine is looking for a Legal Secretary to join our team in Anchorage.
This position provides critical support for multiple attorneys, including typing, editing and formatting legal documents and correspondence, filing documents with various courts, both electronically and by messenger. Arranging for service of documents on opposing counsel, telephone communications with clients and business contacts, file maintenance, substantial data entry, and other tasks as assigned.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion and innovation.
In this role, you will:
- Type, proofread, format and edit correspondence, pleadings, discovery responses, and other legal documents, often with short deadlines
- Handle daily entry of information and documents into electronic client-focused databases
- Prepare spreadsheets analyzing client billing data
- Open new client matters and initiate conflict checks
- Maintain paper and electronic files
- Draft correspondence and communicate with project team and client contacts
- Schedule appointments, depositions, meetings; maintain calendars; set up conference calls
- File pleadings in state and federal courts in many different venues, as well as in agency proceedings
- Track and calendar internal and litigation deadlines
- Answer, screen, and respond to phone calls
- Open and route mail and email; attach files and documents
- Enter billable time into time-keeping system
Join us if you have:
- 4+ years’ experience as a litigation assistant, or similar experience
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: ability to type 65 wpm with high accuracy; proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat or Nuance required; some knowledge of PowerPoint, time keeping programs, NetDocs, and SharePoint sites preferred; ability to perform internet research
- Experience filing documents with state and federal courts, as well as with the EEOC portal preferred
- Able to read and understand court rules, and to ensure compliance with assigned judge’s individual rules and practices
- High attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential materials
- Ability to work independently and anticipate needed tasks to complete projects
- Ability and willingness to learn new electronic programs
- Excellent grammar, proofreading and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- High level of energy; able to work at a fast pace and to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, service focused environment and to handle stressful situations in calm, composed manner
- Ability to understand and follow work instructions with minimal supervision
- Availability and willingness to work overtime as needed or requested
- A high school diploma or GED certification
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms, and frequently required to sit, stand, walk, and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer, and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
To learn more and apply, visit careers.dwt.com!